how to build a koi pond made up of tarpaulin fish pond (trapal)
how to build a koi pond. (trapal pond)is the Favorite choice of poor man’s koi fish keeper and koi fish breeders here in the Philippines.
It is easy to build though it won’t last long at least you can enjoy using it for years if proper maintenance and care are done.
Pro Tip on how to make your Trapal koi pond last long.
- Make sure it will not have direct sunlight install roofing to your trapal koi pond the best roofing material is plastic cover in order for the sunlight can penetrate but will not damage the trapal koi pond.
- If possible the koi pond should be dug not above the ground it will protect the trapal koi pond from sun damage and unstable temperature that will make it deteriorate fast
- Make sure that the water level should be at the topmost level of the pond the water protect it from harmful sunlight rays that will deteriorate it faster.
Here is another video of my trapal koi pond that I built with bamboo frame.
Here below is the photo of trapal that are used as pond liner for most koi keepers and other fish keepers in the Philippines.
How to build trapal koi pond
- Build the trapal koi pond frame it is up to you what materials are you going to use bamboo or wood. You can also dig the ground if you prefer not to build trapal koi pond frame. I highly recommend this since it will make your trapal last longer than raised koi pond design.
- After you are done with the frame or dug a hole in the ground check the grounds if there are any sharp objects like stones, nails, roots of the trees etc and then add protection like carton or newspaper.
- Now layout the trapal in the frame or earthen hole koi pond fold each edge to ensure that there are no sides that are stretching
- After they are now in place secure them with u nails to stick them if you are using bamboo or wood frame for the earthen koi pond place stones to each edge to hold the trapal.
- add water and then install also your filtration system my suggestion is used airlift filtration system it is cheaper in power consumption, your safe for any electrical shock and does not clog up like the submersible pump.
- After your filtration system is installed run it for a week before adding your koi fish.
Here is the video on how to properly fold the edges of the trapal to make it smooth and no hanging parts on its side watch here
Here is a video of a simple demonstration how the airlift pump works you can google to find designs in airlift filtration system in the meantime check out my video below